restoring a backup, incompatible with server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Lester
Subject restoring a backup, incompatible with server
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm having a little trouble restoring a backup (from the production
server to our development server).

I recently updated both production and development servers to
postgres 8.1.4 from 8.0.x. When I updated production, I did a fresh
initdb and imported from a previous dump. This server is running well.

Then I did my normal restore-from-backup routine... I copied the
$PGDATA folder on production over to development (making sure that
the necessary log file was copied over as well into the pg_xlog
folder). However, when I tried to start the development server I got
this message.

FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL:  The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION
738394112, but the server was compiled with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 812.
HINT:  It looks like you need to initdb.

I'm a little confused since the $PGDATA folder from production was a
fresh initdb on 8.1.4... and I'm copying it to the development
server, which is also 8.1.4.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.