Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Matthijs van der Vleuten
Subject Re: Remove stickiness from navigation bar in docs
Date
List pgsql-www

> On 22 Oct 2018, at 20:48, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Matthijs,
>
> On 10/22/18 7:02 PM, Matthijs van der Vleuten wrote:
>>

>> Meanwhile, could you apply the patch I submitted? It improves usability
>> and removes no content. It just unsticks the navigation bar (and fixes
>> the shoutbox padding), so that you can see more of the docs at once.
>
> Well, I will at least review the patch, which I have now done ;)
>
> While the patch adjusts the padding on the docs, it breaks across the
> rest of the site. Now the shoutbox is missing on every page other than
> the documentation, so I do not want to apply this patch.

Oops, I did not consider that the stylesheet is not exclusively used on
the docs section of the site. Unfortunately I don't see a good way to
have my changes apply only there.

Personally I wouldn't mind getting rid of the sticky property of the
navigation bar site-wide, which would solve the issue you've pointed
out. However, I wouldn't want to impose on the promotional part of the
site and this only really bothers me on the docs. Which is why I
submitted the patch in the first place :)

In any case, thank you for reviewing the patch.

> And again, as I said above, I'm not sold on unsticking the navigation
> bar, especially in the case of mobile.

Well, as it is, the navigation bar on mobile only contains the logo and
a hamburger menu. It seems quite useless to me to have that stuck to the
top of the screen, especially considering that mobile screens are small.