Re: Select duplicated values - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pete Yunker
Subject Re: Select duplicated values
Date
List pgsql-general
Another option is to perform a self-join on columns B, C, and D (filtering out the 'same' record where a=a) instead of using the sub-select.  This may yield better performance depending on the size of the table.  Also, I don't believe the concatenation / sub-select will work if all of B, C, and D are all NULL.

SELECT x.a
FROM my_table x
INNER JOIN my_table y
ON ((x.b = y.b) or (x.b IS NULL AND y.b IS NULL))
AND ((x.c = y.c) or (x.c IS NULL AND y.c IS NULL))
AND ((x.d = y.d) or (x.d IS NULL AND y.d IS NULL))
AND x.a <> y.a

Another alternative to handling the NULL values is to COALESCE them to a value that would never exist in columns B, C, or D.  I don't know the datatypes you are using, so I'll just use 'junk' for now.

SELECT x.a
FROM my_table x
INNER JOIN my_table y
ON COALESCE(x.b,'junk') = COALESCE(y.b,'junk')
AND COALESCE(x.c,'junk') = COALESCE(y.c,'junk')
AND COALESCE(x.d,'junk') = COALESCE(y.d,'junk')
AND x.a <> y.a

---
Pete Yunker
Vice President of Data Products