merging date and time - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From miannaco@csc.com
Subject merging date and time
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,
I'm experiencing some problems to create a view in which I put together a
date and a time in the same field...

I have a table which contain a date field (with a date inside) and a
varchar field with time inside..

This is the content of those two field in one record:

   |22-03-1999|14:45:27

I just wanted to create a view in which those two field are merged in a
datetime filed..

I tried using different approach but I'm always getting an error message orwhile creating the view or when selectin
fromthe created view..

examples:

   create view glob_time as select datetime(euigw.day||euigw.time) as tempofrom euigw;

gives me the following error message;

   ERROR:  There is more than one possible operator '||' for types 'date'
and 'varc
   har'
          You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

create view glob_time as select datetime(text(euigw.day)||euigw.time) as
tempo from euigw;

works file, but then if I do select * from glob_time; I get:

ERROR:  Bad datetime external representation 'Mon 22 Mar 00:00:00 1999
MET14:45:
27'

does anyone have an idea about how to solve this?

thanks,

Marco