Re: bug with if ... then ... clause in views - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Daryl Richter
Subject Re: bug with if ... then ... clause in views
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Jan 18, 2006, at 4:18 AM, Emil Rachovsky wrote:

> While trying to create some views I stumbled on some
> problem with using the if-then clause. Here is a
> simple example :
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW public.SomeView
>   as select d.id,
>   if (true) then d.DocNumber endif from
> public.Z_Documents as d;
>
> I get the following error :
>  syntax error at or near "then" at character 72
>
> I don't have a clue what is going on here. Any
> suggestions?

I see 2 issues.

1) if *what* is true?
2) AFAIK, there is no IF conditional in SQL.  Perhaps you want CASE?
e.g.

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW SomeView
as  select        d.id,        case  when condition = true then d.doc_number  else 'Bad Doc'     end  from  documents
asd;

go

--
Daryl

"Stress rarely has a positive impact on our ability to think.
Never, I'd guess."

-- Ron Jeffries, 2005