Re: Check constraints on partition parents only? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Check constraints on partition parents only?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jul 25, 2011, at 9:59 PM, Jerry Sievers wrote:
> That our version of partitioning can be overloaded like this though I
> think adds power.  A bit of which we lost adding the restrictgion.

That's why I'd be opposed to any partitioning scheme that removed the ability to have different fields in different
children.We've found that ability to be very useful. Likewise, I think we need to have intelligent plans involving a
parenttable that's either completely empty or mostly empty.

As for dealing with inheritance and putting stuff on some children but not others, take a look at
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/enova-tools/.There's a presentation there that discusses how we solved these issues and
itincludes the tools we created to do it. Note that we're close to releasing a cleaner version of that stuff, so if you
decideto use it please ping me off-list if we haven't gotten the new stuff posted.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net