Re: Temporary file access API - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Morris
Subject Re: Temporary file access API
Date
List pgsql-hackers
  • So I think that code simplification and easy adoption of in-memory data
    changes (such as encryption or compression) are two rather distinct goals.
    admit that I'm running out of ideas how to develop a framework that'd be
    useful for both.

I’m also wondering about code simplification vs a more general encryption/compression framework. I started with the current proposal, and I’m also looking at David Steele’s approach to encryption/compression in pgbackrest. I’m beginning to think we should do a high-level design which includes encryption/compression, and then implement it as a “simplification” without actually doing the transformations.