Re: POSTGRES_FSM_RELATIONS CRITICAL: DB control fsm relations used:79569 of 80000 (99%) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Julie Nishimura
Subject Re: POSTGRES_FSM_RELATIONS CRITICAL: DB control fsm relations used:79569 of 80000 (99%)
Date
Re: POSTGRES_FSM_RELATIONS CRITICAL: DB control fsm relations used:79569 of 80000 (99%)
List pgsql-general
What is the impact of fsm_relatiosn being maxed out?

From: Julie Nishimura <juliezain@hotmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:11 AM
To: Adrian Klaver; pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org; pgsql-general
Subject: Re: POSTGRES_FSM_RELATIONS CRITICAL: DB control fsm relations used: 79569 of 80000 (99%)

Adrian, the current nagios alerting does the following:

postgres=# SELECT count(*) from pg_freespacemap_relations;
 count
-------
 79999
(1 row)

and this is the snippet from our config:
max_fsm_pages = 6000000
                                        # (change requires restart)
max_fsm_relations = 80000

So, we are pretty much at 100%. We have decided to increase max_fsm_relations = 90000 and restart.

To do the right settings for this value, should I run this query in all dbs on the server:
> SELECT
> count(1) as object_count
> FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c
> WHERE c.relkind IN ('r','i')