Re: partial data migration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Julie Nishimura
Subject Re: partial data migration
Date
List pgsql-general
Great, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 7, 2019, at 7:48 PM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, for whole tables (even sets of tables) "pg_dump --table=" is good at that.  Even better, you can run the 9.6 pg_dump against the 8.3 database and get parallelism with "--jobs".

On 3/7/19 8:11 PM, Julie Nishimura wrote:
Ron, thanksagain. In case if I need to migrate the entire tables, I should be able to use pg_dump and pg_restore for certain tables, even between different versions, right? In case if I need to migrate from 8 to 9?

Thanks

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 5:59 PM
To: pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org
Subject: Re: partial data migration

(8.3?  That's even older than what we just migrated from!!!)

No.  Make some views (I'd probably make them "month-sized"), COPY each view from the source db to a file, and then COPY each file to it's relevant target table.

You should also think about a program named pg_bulkload.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/sql-copy.html
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/sql-copy.html