RE: Updating large tables without dead tuples - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From ldh@laurent-hasson.com
Subject RE: Updating large tables without dead tuples
Date
List pgsql-performance

[Laurent Hasson]
[Laurent Hasson]
This table several other tables with foreign keys into it... So any physical replacement of the table wouldn't work I
believe.I'd have to disable/remove the foreign keys across the other tables, do this work, and then re-set the foreign
keys.Overall time in aggregate may not be much shorter than the current implementation.

This table represents Hospital visits, off of which hang a lot of other information. The updated column in that Visits
tableis not part of the key.

As for the rollback, I didn't think about it because in our case, short of a db/hardware failure, this operation
wouldn'tfail... But the risk is there and I understand the engine must be prepared for anything and fulfill the ACID
principles.

With respect to that, I read in many places that an UPDATE is effectively a DELETE + INSERT. Does that mean in the
rollbacklogs, there are 2 entries for each row updated as a result?

Thank you,
Laurent.