[PERFORM] How does max_parallel_workers_per_gather change load averages? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ben Nachtrieb
Subject [PERFORM] How does max_parallel_workers_per_gather change load averages?
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hello,

This is my first question on this list.

How does max_parallel_workers_per_gather change Linux server load averages?

I have 2 cores and my max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 2 and max_worker_processes = 8, but my load averages are between 8 and 5 with scheduled at 1/189 to 5/195. Are these so high because I increased max_parallel_workers_per_gather? My understanding is that if my load averages are greater than my number of cores the system is overloaded. Should I think about it differently once I increase max_parallel_workers_per_gather? How should I think about it?

I am using postgres 9.6.