Re: 9.4 pg_control corruption - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steve Singer
Subject Re: 9.4 pg_control corruption
Date
Re: 9.4 pg_control corruption  (李海龙 <hailong.li@qunar.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 07/08/2014 10:14 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Steve Singer <steve@ssinger.info> writes:
>> I've encountered a corrupt pg_control  file on my 9.4 development
>> cluster.  I've mostly been using the cluster for changeset extraction /
>> slony testing.
>> This is a 9.4 (currently commit 6ad903d70a440e  + a walsender change
>> discussed in another thread) but would have had the initdb done with an
>> earlier 9.4 snapshot.
> Somehow or other you missed the update to pg_control version number 942.
> There's no obvious reason to think that this pg_control file is corrupt
> on its own terms, but the pg_controldata version you're using expects
> the 942 layout.  The fact that the server wasn't complaining about this
> suggests that you've not recompiled the server, or at least not xlog.c.
> Possibly the odd failure to restart indicates that you have a partially
> updated server executable?

The server  is complaining about that, it started to after the crash
(which is why I ran pg_controldata)

ssinger@ssinger-laptop:/usr/local/pgsql94wal/bin$ ./postgres -D ../data  2014-07-08 22:28:57.796 EDTFATAL:  database
filesare incompatible

with server  2014-07-08 22:28:57.796 EDTDETAIL:  The database cluster was
initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 937, but the server was compiled
with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 942.  2014-07-08 22:28:57.796 EDTHINT:  It looks like you need to initdb.
ssinger@ssinger-laptop:/usr/local/pgsql94wal/bin$

The server seemed fine (and it was 9.4 because I was using 9.4 features)
The server crashed
The server performed crash recovery
The server server wouldn't start and pg_controldata shows the attached
output

I wasn't recompiling or reinstalling around this time either.