Improve MMO Game Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arvind Singh
Subject Improve MMO Game Performance
Date
Re: Improve MMO Game Performance  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: Improve MMO Game Performance  (Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au>)
Re: Improve MMO Game Performance  ("Albe Laurenz" <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
Re: Improve MMO Game Performance  (Torsten Zuehlsdorff <foo@meisterderspiele.de>)
List pgsql-general
we are all aware of the popular trend of MMO games. where players face each other live.
My area of concern, is storage of player moves and game results.
Using Csharp and PostgreSql
The game client is browser based ASP.NET and calls Csharp functions for all database related processing

To understand my query, please consider the following scenario
 we store game progress in a postgres table.
A tournament starts with four players and following activity
  1. Each player starts with 100hitpoints
  2. player 1 makes a strike (we refer to a chart to convert blows to hitpoints with random-range %)
  3. player 2 has 92HP, and returns a light blow, so player1 has 98hp
The above two round will now be in Game Progress Table, as
ROW Player1HP Player2HP Strikefrom StrikeTo ReturnStrikeHP Round TimeStamp StrikeMethod
1      100       100         0        0            0          0
2       98        92        P1        P2           2          1
There is a tremendous flow of sql queries,
There are average/minimum 100 tournaments online per 12 minutes or 500 players / hour
In Game Progress table, We are storing each player move
12 round tourament of 4 player there can be 48 records
    plus around same number
for spells or special items
    a total of
96 per tourament or 48000 record inserts per hour (500 players/hour)
Are there any particular settings or methods available to improve Just insert_table operations

thanks
arvind