Migrated from 8.3 to 9.0 - need to update config (re-post) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Carlo Stonebanks
Subject Migrated from 8.3 to 9.0 - need to update config (re-post)
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hello performance wizards!

(Sorry for the re-post if this appears twice - I see no evidence e-mailing to pgsql-perfomrance is working yet.)

My client has migrated his 8.3 hosted DB to new machines running PG 9.0. It’s time to look at the config settings.

Immediately below are the config settings.

The specifics of the DB and how it is used is below that, but in general let me say that this is a full-time ETL system, with only a handful of actual “users” and automated processes over 300 connections running “import” programs 24/7.

I appreciate the help,

Carlo

The host system:

Intel® Xeon® Processor X5560 (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI) x 2, dual quad core

48 GB RAM

RAID 10, 6 X 600 GB 15krpm SAS)

LINUX Redhat/Centos 2.6.18-164.el5

Sys admin says that battery-backup RAID controller and consequent write settings should have no impact on performance. Is this true?

Current config and my thoughts on what to do with it. If it isn’t mentioned here, the values are default values:

# ===========================================================

max_connections = 300

shared_buffers = 500MB # At 48GB of RAM, could we go to 2GB

# - what is the impact on LINX config?

effective_cache_size = 2457MB # Sys admin says assume 25% of 48GB

# is used by OS and other apps

work_mem = 512MB # Complex reads are called many times a second

# from each connection, so what should this be?

maintenance_work_mem = 256MB # Should this be bigger - 1GB at least?

checkpoint_segments = 128 # There is lots of write activity; this is high

# but could it be higher?

#checkpoint_completion_target not set;

# Recommendation appears to be .9 for our 128 checkpoint segments

default_statistics_target = 200 # Deprecated?

#autovacuum_freeze_max_age not set;

# recommendation is 1,000,000 for non-activity.

# What is the metric for wal_buffers setting?

wal_buffers = 4MB # Looks low, recommendation appears to be 16MB.

# Is it really "set it and forget it"?

#synchronous_commit not set;

# Recommendation is to turn this off and leave fsync on

#fsync not set;

# Recommendation is to leave this on

#wal_level not set;

# Do we only needed for replication?

#max_wal_senders not set;

# Do we only needed for replication?

# The issue of vacuum/analyze is a tricky one.

# Data imports are running 24/7. One the DB is seeded, the vast majority

# of write activity is updates, and not to indexed columns.

# Deletions are vary rare.

vacuum_cost_delay = 20ms

# The background writer has not been addressed at all.

# Can our particular setup benefit from changing

# the bgwriter values?

bgwriter_lru_maxpages = 100 # This is the default;

listen_addresses = '*'

port = 5432

log_destination = 'stderr'

logging_collector = on

log_directory = 'pg_log'

log_filename = 'postgresql-%a.log'

log_truncate_on_rotation = on

log_rotation_age = 1d

log_rotation_size = 0

log_line_prefix = '%t'

track_counts = on

# ===========================================================

The DB is pretty large, and organized by schema. The most active are:

1) One “Core” schema

a. 100 tables

b. Typical row counts in the low millions.

c. This represents the enterprise’s core data.

d. Equal read/write activity

2) Multiple “Import” schemas

a. Contain several thousand raw “flat file” tables

b. Ragged column structure, up to hundreds of columns

c. Erratic row counts, from dozens of rows to 1 million

d. Each table sequentially read once, only status fields are written back

3) One “Audit” schema

a. A new log table is created every month

b. Typical row count is 200 million

c. Log every write to the “Core”

d. Almost entirely write operations, but the few read operations that are done have to be fast owing to the size of the tables

e. Links the “Core” data to the “Import” data

There are next to no “users” on the system – each connection services a constantly running import process which takes the incoming “import” data, analyzes the “core” data and decides how to distil the import into the core.

Analytical Processes are not report-oriented

The “Core” reads are mostly single row results

The “Import” reads are 1,000 row pages

There is next to no use of aggregate queries

Transactional Processes are a steady stream of writes

Not bursty or sporadic

Overwhelmingly inserts and updates, next to no deletes

Each transaction represents 10 – 50 writes to the “core” schema