Re: Create a function that updates the record with and timestamps - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Barnes
Subject Re: Create a function that updates the record with and timestamps
Date
List pgsql-general

I see examples for updating tables using a function, but I would like to pull the row requested and modify the last_modified column with current_date and push the modified data back into the same row.

I did see an example of how to use old and new at this at this link, but it is vague.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/ppbook/x20655.htm#TRIGGERFUNCTIONVARIABLES

From: compuguruchrisbarnes@hotmail.com
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Create a function that updates the record with and timestamps
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:58:49 -0400

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} I would like to have postgres update the last_modified column with the current_date on an update of the record.

I am not sure if there is a very simple way of doing this?

Or, do I need to create a function and a trigger to call the row and update with new data and set the last_modified to current_date?

Here is the table.

CREATE TABLE price.price_table (
  PRICE_DATE DATE,
  ID VARCHAR(13),
  OPENING NUMERIC(18,6),
  CLOSING NUMERIC(18,6),
  HIGHEST NUMERIC(18,6),
  LOWEST NUMERIC(18,6),
  VOLUME BIGINT,
  LAST_MODIFIED TIMESTAMP(6) WITHOUT TIME ZONE DEFAULT current_date,
CONSTRAINT PK_PRICE PRIMARY KEY (PRICE_DATE,ID));

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris