Re: First production install - general advice - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Black
Subject Re: First production install - general advice
Date
List pgsql-general
One thing that comes to mind...  Have you tested the install process from start to end?
Other than that, a week until to go live is a is time to relax, exhale, prop your feet on the desk, and visualize the process thinking of every step, automated and manual, what could happen here and is a resolution in place to get past it.  If there is not a resolution and if it is not an easy one to work up, write it down and do it manually, if the issue arises.  At this stage of the project, if all the work is done, tested and accepted, there is not really much else that you can do other than relax.

To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] First production install - general advice
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 12:34:19 -0500
From: runner@winning.com

I'm going to go live with my first production install of PostgreSQL 9.0 in about a week.  I've done a LOT of reading on the internet and I've purchased two very good reference books and actually read them:

PostgreSQL 9 Administration Cookbook
PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance

I'd like to know if any of you have ever installed a PostgreSQL database for production use and then found something you wish you had done differently after the fact.   Maybe your directory naming scheme, your backup strategy, environment variable settings etc.  In this last week before we go live I'm hoping to get a few last minute tidbits of information that me help me avoid some common problems.

Thank you,
Rick