Re: Matching against a field case in-sensitive. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin Gainty
Subject Re: Matching against a field case in-sensitive.
Date
List pgsql-general
KEYWORDS:
Identifier and key word names are case insensitive. Therefore
UPDATE MY_TABLE SET A = 5;
can equivalently be written as
uPDaTE my_TabLE SeT a = 5;

IDENTIFIERS:
Quoting an identifier also makes it case-sensitive,
whereas unquoted names are always folded to lower case.
For example, the identifiers FOO, foo, and "foo" are considered the same by PostgreSQL,
but "Foo" and "FOO" are different from these three and each other.
(The folding of unquoted names to lower case in PostgreSQL is incompatible with the SQL standard, which says that unquoted names should be folded to upper case. Thus, foo should be equivalent to "FOO" not "foo" according to the standard. If you want to write portable applications you are advised to always quote a particular name or never quote it.)

in summary taking the quotes off identifiers will make your SQL statement case insensitive..

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-syntax.html

HTH
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note