Vacuum Vs Vacuum Full - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Shaw
Subject Vacuum Vs Vacuum Full
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I've been trying to get to the bottom of the differences between a vacuum and a vacuum full, it seems to me that the difference is that a vacuum full also recovers disk space(and locks things making it less than useful on production servers).  But I believe that both will fix the transaction ID(example message below).

"WARNING: database "mydb" must be vacuumed within 177009986 transactions
HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a full-database VACUUM in "mydb"."
Which is reason I ask the question, is full vacuum backup useful for anything other than reclaiming disk space.

On a side note, we doubled our page slots, but they ran out much faster(of course) than we thought, is there a good sql statement that can tell you what your current transaction ID is?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rob

Find out: SEEK Salary Centre Are you paid what you're worth?