Re: BUG #5055: Invalid page header error - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From postgres bee
Subject Re: BUG #5055: Invalid page header error
Date
Re: BUG #5055: Invalid page header error  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-bugs
> Was there any particular event that marked the onset of these issues?
> Anything in the system logs (dmesg / syslog etc) around that time?

Unfortunately, cannot recall anything abnormal.=20

> Was Pg forcibly killed and restarted, or the machine hard-reset? (This
> _shouldn't_ cause data corruption, but might give some starting point
> for looking for a bug).
It is a normal pg shutdown followed by a reboot.

> *** DID YOU TAKE COPIES OF YOUR DATA FILES BEFORE "FIXING" THEM *** ?=20
No. Should have taken a backup on hindsight. At that time, the primary moti=
vation was to get over the hump and have the query result succssfully.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought one of the, if not the most, primar=
y tasks for relational databases is to ensure that no data loss ever occurs=
. Which is why I was initially surprised that the issue did not get enough =
importnace. But now it seems more like the community not knowing what trigg=
ered the issue i.e. not knowing which component to fix.

But I do have one overriding question - since postgres is still running on =
the same hardware, wouldn't it rule out hardware as the primary suspect?

Ready for Fall shows? Use Bing to find helpful ratings and reviews on digit=
al tv's.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=3Ddigital+tv's&form=3DMSHNCB&publ=3DW=
LHMTAG&crea=3DTEXT_MSHNCB_Vertical_Shopping_DigitalTVs_1x1=