Compressed binary field - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edson Richter
Subject Compressed binary field
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

My application have few binary fields that accept files. Most of them
are XML files archived for reference only.
I would like to know if there is any plan to implement compressed fields
(just a "flag" in the field definition, like "not null") at database
side (these fields are and will never be indexed neither used for search).
Besides I know there are other options for file storage (like
filesystem, etc), but database is so convenient and I really don't want
to push application architecture now (it will replicate automatically,
is available at an device I wish without sharing folders, etc).

Thanks,

Edson.