Re: Counting all results before LIMIT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edson Richter
Subject Re: Counting all results before LIMIT
Date
List pgsql-general
Em 05/10/2012 12:17, Mike Christensen escreveu:
You could use a windowing function.  Something like:

SELECT x, y, z, COUNT(*) OVER()
FROM Foo
LIMIT 50;

Good to know! I'll give a try!

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 8:02 AM, P Gouv <kadmos@gmail.com> wrote:
You cant. There is an article about count performance. Generally its slow but latest version 9.2 i think supports index for count under some condition.But 300 isnt that much that you should worry.Another modern solution is to not count results just add one more at limit to see if there is next page.

I've used two queries for >100 000 (with filters applied - table has > 1 800 000 records), and is very acceptable (<200ms with 8Gb and Xeon dual core).

Edson.