Re: XML Schema for PostgreSQL database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edson Richter
Subject Re: XML Schema for PostgreSQL database
Date
Re: XML Schema for PostgreSQL database  (Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Em 13/12/2012 20:10, Merlin Moncure escreveu:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone created a XML Schema that would represent PostgreSQL database
>> with all (or at least, major) structures?
> no -- furthermore, why would you want to?  what would be the consumer
> of this 'schema'?
>
> merlin

I was wondering to create a tool for diagramming and database forward
engineering.

There are already few tools around.

If you know a good diagramming tool able to database diff and forward
engineering (with "ALTER ...", not "DROP and CREATE"), I would like to
know (by today I do use one commercial tool that is feature incomplete:
DbWrench).

Among others, I've considered also:
- Sybase PowerDesigner: too expensive, does not support PostgreSQL
9.1/9.2, so is not appropriate.
- ERWin: too expensive, and doesn't have proper support for PostgreSQL
9.1/9.2.
- NaviCat: is feature extensive, but they don't have real change scripts
(are drop/create).
- ModelRight: it's "change script" is not change at all (is just another
drop/create tool).
- TORA and other open source tools are really incomplete.
- TOAD is too confuse for simple day-by-day work.

Most of these tools or doesn't support PostgreSQL features (are too
generic), or doesn't do real forward engineer (are only able to
drop/create objects, not alter them), or cannot deal with partial
diagrams (I can't deal with only one diagram with hundred of tables at
once).

Thanks for your help,

Edson