Re: What is the impact of "varchar_pattern_ops" on performance and/or memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edson Richter
Subject Re: What is the impact of "varchar_pattern_ops" on performance and/or memory
Date
In response to What is the impact of "varchar_pattern_ops" on performance and/or memory (was: What is impact of "varchar_ops")?  (Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Em 22/01/2013 15:57, Edson Richter escreveu:
> I'm rephrasing the question I posted yesterday, because I have used
> the wrong terminology and caused confusion (and for instance, got no
> response to my question).
>
> Almost all indexed columns of kind varchar in my database require
> "varchar_pattern_ops" op class in order to make my LIKE queries more
> optmized.
>
> Is there any way to define that this operator class is the default for
> my database for varchar columns?
>
> What would be the impact in terms of performance and memory consumption?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Edson Richter

Found it (partial) answer!

RTFM, as the wise man said. If you have not found, then have you read
not enough.

If anyone else need to do the same, look the manuals...
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-alteropclass.html

BUT, I have not found how to change the existing operator class to be
default for the data type without dropping and recreating.

It is there, or are the docs outdated?

Thanks,

Edson Richter