Re: What is impact of "varchar_opts"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edson Richter
Subject Re: What is impact of "varchar_opts"?
Date
List pgsql-general
Em 21/01/2013 18:03, Tom Lane escreveu:
> Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com> writes:
>> I see. So, what is the overhead of having text_ops in opclass?
>> Can I define it as default for all my indexes when textual type of any kind?
> Why are you intent on defining anything?  IMO, best practice is to let
> the database choose the opclass, unless you have a very good and
> specific reason to choose a non-default one for a particular index.
> Letting it default is way more future-proof than specifying something.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Thanks, but I've found that some queries using LIKE operator uses table
scan instead index unless it is defined with varchar_ops in the index...

That make a huge difference when querying tables with millions of
objects (indexed vs table scan). And I can't avoid the LIKE operator...

Example:

select * from notafiscal where cnpj like '01234568%'

Is there other way I'm missing?

Thanks,

Edson