Add column name to error message? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edson Richter
Subject Add column name to error message?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

I would like to have a improved error message with column name. Today (9.2.3), I receive the following error:

"ERROR: value too long for type character varying(20)"

Why not this more intuitive error message:

"ERROR: value too long for type character varying(20) at column XYZ"

Since my table can have more than one "character varying(20)" inside, would be useful to know which one has throw the error...
Is there any reasoning (security, perhaps) for hiding column name in the error?

Thanks,
--

Edson Carlos Ericksson Richter
Sistemas para Bibliotecas, Escolinhas Infantis