Re: XML Schema for PostgreSQL database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edson Richter
Subject Re: XML Schema for PostgreSQL database
Date
List pgsql-general
Em 17/12/2012 20:14, Thomas Kellerer escreveu:
> Edson Richter wrote on 14.12.2012 00:52:
>> I was wondering to create a tool for diagramming and database forward
>> engineering.
>>
>> There are already few tools around.
>>
>> If you know a good diagramming tool able to database diff and forward
>> engineering (with "ALTER ...", not "DROP and CREATE"), I would like
>> to know (by today I do use one commercial tool that is feature
>> incomplete: DbWrench).
>>
>> Among others, I've considered also:
>> - Sybase PowerDesigner: too expensive, does not support PostgreSQL
>> 9.1/9.2, so is not appropriate.
>> - ERWin: too expensive, and doesn't have proper support for
>> PostgreSQL 9.1/9.2.
>> - NaviCat: is feature extensive, but they don't have real change
>> scripts (are drop/create).
>> - ModelRight: it's "change script" is not change at all (is just
>> another drop/create tool).
>> - TORA and other open source tools are really incomplete.
>> - TOAD is too confuse for simple day-by-day work.
>>

> Do you mean TOAD the "SQL Tool" or TOAD Data Modeler (TDM)? TDM is far
> from perfect but quite nice actually.

TOAD Data Modeler.

> You might also want to look at DbSchema: http://www.dbschema.com/

Thanks, I have tried that also. It's nice, but it is not a true forward
engineer (drop and create can't be called that, and the DbSchema does
not generate true change scripts - then it requires extra effort
reimporting data after changes - and depending on the change, it can't
even be applied by drop/create).

Regards,

Edson