Re: Reverse Engr into erwin - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edson Richter
Subject Re: Reverse Engr into erwin
Date
List pgsql-general
I don't know about ErWin. If you look for alternatives that would=20
include a tool change=2C then continue reading.
I do use DBWrench=2C is working fairly well.

Pr=F3s:
- Multiple diagrams for same database/schema (can reduce the amount of=20
tables you are looing)=2C with some glyphs to help organize them
- True reverse and forward engineering (work most of time)
- Smart rename/recreate with data move when alter is not an option
- Support triggers=2C tables=2C schemas=2C functions=2C indexes=2C unique=20
constraints=2C primary and foreign keys
- Intuitive interface
- Capable of conversion between 4 databases supported (PostgreSQL=2C=20
Oracle=2C MS SQL Server=2C and Access)
- Use can tweak data types
- Latest release (that I don't own) support PostgreSQL arrays and other=20
special data types
- Written in Java=2C runs everywhere (I do run in Windows and Linux)
- Diagrams saved in XML format=2C it is easy to implement versioning

Cons:
- No check constraints support
- No index operator class
- Bugs in function/procedure reverse engineering/forward enginnering
- Support is so-so=2C no big deal since the tool work most of time
- Oriented to upgrades (need to buy new version to get some fixes for=20
known bugs)

You can get 30 day trial (at least=2C it was available at time I was=20
evaluating for buy).

PS: I don't work for the company that sell. I'm just a (almost happy)=20
customer that feels if they have more huge user base=2C they would add=20
more features quicker.

Regards=2C

Edson