Re: Could use some advice on search architecture - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robin
Subject Re: Could use some advice on search architecture
Date
List pgsql-general
Because this is a topic that interests me I have done some digging.

MonetDB is a proper column-store DBMS. It is used on some decent sized projects, several of which are EU-funded.

Digging a bit deeper I have discovered that a PostgreSQL Foreign Data Wrapper for MonetDB has been created - monetdb_fdw.

The fdw is written up here

There is a video that shows what happens when a query is executed in PostgreSQL and MonetDB

The video shows an analytical query being processed

  1. Using PostgreSQL - 177 seconds
  2. Using MonetDB - 8 seconds
  3. Using a remote MonetDB server through MonetDB FDW - 1 second

I think its worth investigating further

Robin St.Clair