Re: [SQL] Sorting data based fields in two linked tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Charlie
Subject Re: [SQL] Sorting data based fields in two linked tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
SELECT

A.ID,A.FIELD1,A.FIELD2,  B.FIELD1,B.FIELD2, B.FIELD1,B.FIELD2, B.FIELD1,B.FIELD2

FROM a
INNER JOIN B
ON a.id = b.a_id
ORDER BY a.field2 ASC, b.field1 ASC ;

----- Reply message -----
From: "R. Smith" <ship.quotes@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 13, 2011 12:00 pm
Subject: [SQL] Sorting data based fields in two linked tables
To: <pgsql-sql@postgresql.org>

Hi,

I am looking for a way to sort data returned from two tables with the
first sort based on a field from table A and the secord sort based on
the results of the first sort but the sort field is from table B.
While I can sort on either fields from either table, I cannot get it
to work on both. I have tried a crosstab query, but this a fails as
the number of rows returned from TABLE B for each row in TABLE A is an
unknown. I tried creating a temporary table, to then sort on, but this
failed as well. Example layout below:

Table A

ID FIELD1 FIELD2

Table B

ID, A.ID FIELD1,FIELD2

Output Based on sorting A.FIELD2, then B.FIELD1

A.ID,A.FIELD1,A.FIELD2,  B.FIELD1,B.FIELD2, B.FIELD1,B.FIELD2, B.FIELD1,B.FIELD2

Can anyone help me with this?

Regards