Re: [SQL] extracting location info from string - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Charlie
Subject Re: [SQL] extracting location info from string
Date
List pgsql-sql
Have you looked at

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damerau%E2%80%93Levenshtein_distance

----- Reply message -----
From: "Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz" <postgresql3@numerixtechnology.de>
Date: Wed, May 25, 2011 6:13 pm
Subject: [SQL] extracting location info from string
To: <pgsql-sql@postgresql.org>

On Wed, 25 May 2011 09:25:48 -0600
Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 05/24/2011 10:57 AM, Lew wrote:
>> Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
>>
>>> CREATE TABLE person
>>> (
>>> id integer NOT NULL,
>>> "name" character varying(256) NOT NULL,
>>> "location" character varying(256),
>>> CONSTRAINT person_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
>>> );
>>>
>>> this was just a TEMPORARY table I created for quick analysis
>>> of my CSV data (now renamed to temp_person).

CREATE TABLE country
(
 id character varying(3) NOT NULL, -- alpha-3 code
 "name" character varying(50) NOT NULL,
 CONSTRAINT country_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
);

>To minimize the ultimately quite necessary human adjudication, one
>might make good use of what is often termed "crowd sourcing":  Keep
>all the distinct "hand entered" values and a map to the final human
>assessment.

I was wondering how to do just that. I don't think it would be a good
idea to hard code this into the clean-up script. Take, for instance,
variations of COUNTRY.NAME spelling. Where would I store these?

I could do with a concept for this problem, which applies to a lot of
string-type info.

--

Best Regards,
Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz