Re: What is impact of "varchar_opts"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edson Richter
Subject Re: What is impact of "varchar_opts"?
Date
List pgsql-general
Em 21/01/2013 18:36, Tom Lane escreveu:
> Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com> writes:
>> Thanks, but I've found that some queries using LIKE operator uses table
>> scan instead index unless it is defined with varchar_ops in the index...
> You mean varchar_pattern_ops?  That's an entirely different animal.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Yeah, sure. The animal is me ;-) (just kidding, no offense!). I
expressed myself in wrong terminology, and wasted time. Sorry.

I mean varchar_pattern_ops. Most of my indexes with varchar fields need
to be created with this option to improve search with like operator.

Is there any way to specify this is the default option? What would be
the overall impact over the database?

Thanks,

Edson