Re: PG11.2 - wal_level =minimal max_wal_senders = 0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Ralph
Subject Re: PG11.2 - wal_level =minimal max_wal_senders = 0
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks,
I currently have the systems running a parallel pg_dump each night to a separate partition mounted on the VM. Then I perform a full backup of the VM and all mounted drives each night. Would this be affected by disabling wal archiving? I noted that I understood wal archiving was affected in my initial question. But I was not able to see how it could affect my setup. Please school me if I am being naive.

Jason Ralph

From: Benoit Lobréau <benoit.lobreau@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, September 6, 2019 3:41:44 AM
To: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com>
Cc: Jason Ralph <jralph@affinitysolutions.com>; pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org <pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: PG11.2 - wal_level =minimal max_wal_senders = 0

Hi,

Make sure that the new settings of wal_level and max_wal_senders don't interfere with your backup strategy.
The two parameters have an impact on wal archiving as well.

Ben.

Le jeu. 5 sept. 2019 à 08:33, Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@gmail.com> a écrit :
On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 10:44 PM Jason Ralph
<jralph@affinitysolutions.com> wrote:

> Thank you Luca,
> Can I ask one more related question, I have no need for replication as noted below, can I safely disable the worker process via the setting below? In my sandbox it does turn off the logical replication launcher, I just wanted to be sure I am not affecting anything other than replication with this setting.
>

> max_logical_replication_workers = 0     # taken from max_worker_processes
>                                         # (change requires restart)

Quite frankly I've never done, but I don't see why you should not turn it off.

Luca

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.