QUERY: autovacuum: VACUUM ANALYZE table versus QUERY: autovacuum:VACUUM table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Ralph
Subject QUERY: autovacuum: VACUUM ANALYZE table versus QUERY: autovacuum:VACUUM table
Date
Re: QUERY: autovacuum: VACUUM ANALYZE table versus QUERY: autovacuum: VACUUM table  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hello list,
I am trying to find out if the naming convention from autovacuum does what its command line equivalent does, or at
leastwhat I think it does.

QUERY: autovacuum: VACUUM ANALYZE table versus autovacuum: VACUUM ANALYZE table.

I have been getting my autovacuum tuned and I have the settings where I see 2 types of queries running now and doing
theirjobs. I know vacuum alone will mark dead tuples ready for use again, and analyze alone will update statistics for
thequery planner.

1. QUERY: autovacuum: VACUUM ANALYZE table
2. QUERY: autovacuum: VACUUM table

My question is do we need both?  Why wouldn't QUERY: autovacuum: VACUUM ANALYZE table perform both, I always thought
whenissuing VACUUM ANALYZE table it would do both. Why wouldn't we just want vacuum analyze to run?
Or is QUERY: autovacuum: VACUUM ANALYZE table different from the command line and it only analyzes and QUERY:
autovacuum:VACUUM table only vacuums which would make sense.

Thanks as always and hope this is clear.

Jason Ralph

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
addresseeyou should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if
youhave received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteedto be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or
incomplete,or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the
contentsof this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a
hard-copyversion.