Speed problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Warren Bell
Subject Speed problems
Date
Re: Speed problems
Re: Speed problems
List pgsql-general
I am having problems with performance. I think this is a simple question and
I am in the right place, if not, please redirect me.

I have a table with 36 fields that slows down quite a bit after some light
use. There are only 5 clients connected to this DB and they are doing mostly
inserts and updates. There is no load on this server or db at all. This
table has had no more than 10,000 records and is being accesessd at the rate
of once per 5 seconds. It will slow down quite a bit. It will take 10
seconds to do a `SELECT * FROM` query. I delete all records except one
perform a VACUUM and this will not speed it up. I drop the table and
recreate it and insert one record and it speeds right back up takeing only
100 ms to do the query.

I am fairly new to Postgres. What do I need to do to keep this table from
slowing down?

Thanks,

Warren Bell