Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance??? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Leeuw van der, Tim
Subject Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance???
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

What you could do is create a table containing all the fields from your SELECT, plus a per-session unique ID. Then you
canstore the query results in there, and use SELECT with OFFSET / LIMIT on that table. The WHERE clause for this
temp-resultstable only needs to contain the per-session unique id.

This of course gives you a new problem: cleaning stale data out of the temp-results table. And another new problem is
thatusers will not see new data appear on their screen until somehow the query is re-run (... but that might even be
desirable,actually, depending on how your users do their work and what their work is).

And of course better performance cannot be guaranteed until you try it.

Would such a scheme give you any hope of improved performance, or would it be too much of a nightmare?

cheers,

--Tim