Re: Restricting Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Leeuw van der, Tim
Subject Re: Restricting Postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
To what extent would your problems be solved by having a 2nd server, a replication system (such as slony-1, but there
areothers), and some sort of load-balancer in front of it? The load-balancing could be as simple as round-robin DNS
server,perhaps...

Then when you need to do maintenance such a vacuum full, you can temporarily take 1 server out of the load-balancer (I
hope)and do maintenance, and then the other.
I don't know what that does to replication, but I would venture that replication systems should be designed to handle a
nodegoing offline.

Load balancing could also help to protect against server-overload and 1 server toppling over.

Of course, I don't know to what extent having another piece of hardware is an option, for you.

cheers,

--Tim