Re: Increasing Max Connections Mac OS 10.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Lester
Subject Re: Increasing Max Connections Mac OS 10.3
Date
List pgsql-general
> Joe Lester <joe_lester@sweetwater.com> writes:
>> I installed Postgres 7.4.1 on a dual processor G5 running Mac OS
>> 10.3.2. I'm trying to increase the max_connections to 300 and running
>> into some trouble.
>
> Hmm, it WorksForMe (TM).  You did reboot after changing /etc/rc, no?

Yes, I did a "Restart".

> Try "sysctl -a | grep sysv" to verify that the settings took effect.

That's odd. It's giving me a -1 for the shmmax value. I assume that's
NOT normal. Why would that be?

[lester2:~] joe% sysctl -a | grep sysv
kern.sysv.shmmax: -1
kern.sysv.shmmin: 1
kern.sysv.shmmni: 32
kern.sysv.shmseg: 8
kern.sysv.shmall: 50772160
kern.sysv.semmni: 87381
kern.sysv.semmns: 87381
kern.sysv.semmnu: 87381
kern.sysv.semmsl: 87381
kern.sysv.semume: 10

> Note that there's not much percentage in setting shmmax higher than
> shmall * pagesize.  I see hw.pagesize = 4096 according to sysctl,
> which means your shmall=65536 constrains the total allocation to 256MB,
> so setting shmmax to 500M doesn't do anything...

I'm not quite clear on this. Does this mean that shmmax and shmall
should be set to the same value? Could anyone share with me their own
settings for shmmax and shmall?

Thanks.