Re: [GENERAL] archive_command fails but works outside of Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: [GENERAL] archive_command fails but works outside of Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general

On Aug 19, 2017, at 04:05, twoflower <standa.kurik@gmail.com> wrote:

Alvaro Herrera-9 wrote
I saw one installation with "gsutil cp" in archive_command recently. It had the CLOUDSDK_PYTHON environment variable set in the archive_command itself. Maybe that's a problem.
After all, this was the solution:
archive_command = 'CLOUDSDK_PYTHON=/usr/bin/python gsutil cp /storage/postgresql/9.6/main/pg_xlog/%p gs://my_bucket/'
as also hinted in https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/gsutil/issues/402

I still don't understand why the environments differ (the context of archive_command vs. "su postgres -" and executing it there) but I am happy it's working now. Thank you!

If postgres is running under systemd, you'll have a wildly different environment than if you just su to postgres.

--Scott