Re: PostgreSQL, Mac OS X and locales - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guido Neitzer
Subject Re: PostgreSQL, Mac OS X and locales
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01.11.2005, at 23:24 Uhr, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> PostgreSQL should get the same results as the command-line sort for
> the
> same values of LC_COLLATE. However, the value is fixed at initdb time
> so maybe that's what's confusing you.

Yes, it gets the same results as sort.

I have tried several encoding/locale settings with initdb.

> However, MacOS X inherited FreeBSDs locale setup, which is fairly
> lame.
> They've made many improvements though so your problem should be
> fixable.
>
> BTW, you didn't actually say what locale you where using...

I mostly use UTF-8, so I have called initdb with "-E UTF-8 --
locale=de_DE.UTF-8".

The LC_COLLATE for this locale is a link pointing to "../la_LN.US-
ASCII/LC_COLLATE". This is why I don't think they paid much attention
to the correct sort order of umlauts.

But I have also tried ISO-5589-, ISO-8859-15 and others. No change.
May I take an LC_COLLATE file from another system and use this?

cug

Attachment