Using a User-Def function in a query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ralph Smith
Subject Using a User-Def function in a query
Date
List pgsql-general
I've written several user-defined functions (UDFs) for converting dates to unix time, every which way.
They work find, ala

    # select dtu_dmony('22 Sep 2008');
     dtu_dmony
    ------------
     1222066800
    (1 row)
Returns an integer.

---
Here's a typical query I often run (why I wrote the functions
    # select count(distinct username) from stats where eventtime > 1222066800 ;
     count
    -------
      1460
    (1 row)

---
but when I try to use the function in a query
    # select count(distinct username) from stats where eventtime > dtu_dmony('22 Sep 2008') ;
it never comes back...

---
Is it the table-like formatting that's killing me?
How do I get around this?

Thanks!

Ralph Smith
smithrn at here washington.edu