Re: Has anyone run on the new G5 yet - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Eric Soroos
Subject Re: Has anyone run on the new G5 yet
Date
List pgsql-performance
Sean

>  Second and more radical, has anyone run postgreSQL on the new Apple
> G5 with an XRaid system?  This seems like a great value combination.
> Fast CPU, wide bus, Fibre Channel IO, 2.5TB all for ~17k.
>
> I keep see references to terabyte postgreSQL installations, I was
> wondering if anyone on this list is in charge of one of those and can
> offer some advice on how to position ourselves hardware wise.

 From my (admittedly low end) OSX experience, you just don't have the
filesystem options on OSX that you have on linux, from the noatime
mount, filesystem types, and the raid options. I also feel that the
software stack is a bit more mature and tested on the linux side of
things.

I doubt that the g5 hardware is that much faster than what you have
right now. The raid hardware might be a good deal for you even on a
linux platform. There are reports of it 'just working' with x86 linux
hardware.

eric