Re: Accepting Object[] as an acceptable input to setObject with Types.ARRAY? - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Steven Schlansker
Subject Re: Accepting Object[] as an acceptable input to setObject with Types.ARRAY?
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Jun 3, 2011, at 3:47 PM, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> On 4 June 2011 08:04, Steven Schlansker <stevenschlansker@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It looks like adding support for such a fix to the Postgres driver would be extremely easy.  In particular looking
aroundAbstractJdbc2Statement.java:1732

>>            case Types.ARRAY:
>>                if (in instanceof Array)
>>                    setArray(parameterIndex, (Array)in);
>>                else
>>                    throw new PSQLException(GT.tr("Cannot cast an instance of {0} to type {1}", new
Object[]{in.getClass().getName(),"Types.ARRAY"}),PSQLState.INVALID_PARAMETER_TYPE);
>>                break;
>>
>> it could check if in is an array type and if so synthesize the Array object necessary.
>>
>> Does this sound like a reasonable feature request?  Did I miss an easier way to do this?  It is probably outside of
theJDBC spec but it at least has some traction with H2...

> How do you determine the type of the (server-side) array elements?
> i.e. what is the typename that setObject would pass to createArrayOf()
> when it encountered an Object[]?

The patch I put in another branch of this thread does basic type introspection.  It handles all the primitive types,
wrappedtypes, and a few SQL types (i.e. Date, Time, Timestamp, byte[])