Re: trigger conversion advice needed - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Clint Stotesbery
Subject Re: trigger conversion advice needed
Date
List pgsql-sql
Thanks for the advice Tom. I figured out why my create trigger statement
wouldn't compile. Postgres expects a FOR EACH ROW or FOR EACH STATEMENT
clause before the EXECUTE portion. Oracle assumes a statement level trigger
unless you specify it to be for each row. In addition Oracle allows for
specific columns to be monitored for updates like I had in the Oracle
trigger (AFTER UPDATE OR INSERT OF order_date ON orders).

Well I ended up adding FOR EACH STATEMENT to the Postgres version after the
first email. I got a message back that said statement triggers weren't
implemented in Postgres yet even though according to the 7.3 docs it can be
used. I looked at the changelog for 7.4 and it said:
"Add statement-level triggers (Neil)

While this allows a trigger to fire at the end of a statement, it does not
allow the trigger to access all rows modified by the statement. This
capability is planned for a future release."

I wonder if that means that I can specify FOR EACH STATEMENT and have it
compile fine but it seems like that I can't acccess new and old though still
in 7.4. I'll have to experiment with what you suggested and perhaps look
into upgrading to 7.4 as well.
Thanks,
Clint