Re: Performance vs Schemas - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Aaron Werman
Subject Re: Performance vs Schemas
Date
List pgsql-performance
Right - if you split a table to a lot of more selective tables, it can often
dramatically change the plan options (e.g. - in a single table, selectivity
for a query may be 1% and require an expensive nested loop while in the more
restrictive table it may match 14% of the data and do a cheaper scan).

Also - don't forget that just rebuilding a database cleanly can dramatically
improve performance.

The only dbms I know that indexes views is MS SQL Server 2000, where it is a
limited form of materialized queries. pg doesn't do MQs, but check out
functional indices.

/Aaron

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gregory S. Williamson" <gsw@globexplorer.com>
To: "Igor Maciel Macaubas" <igor@providerst.com.br>;
<pgsql-performance@postgresql.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Performance vs Schemas

Igor,

I'm not sure if it is proper to state that schemas are themselves speeding
things up.

As an example, we have data that is usually accessed by county; when we put
all of the data into one big table and select from it using a code for a
county of interest, the process is fairly slow as there are several hundred
thousand candidate rows from that county in a table with many millions of
rows. When we broke out certain aspects of the data into schemas (one per
county) the searches become very fast indeed because we can skip the
searching for a specific county code with the relevant tables and there is
less (unneeded) data in the table being searched.

As always, "EXPLAIN ANALYZE ..." is your friend in understanding what the
planner is doing with a given query.

See <http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/> for some useful
information, especially under the performance tips section.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC