finding my schema (for sequences) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lee Harr
Subject finding my schema (for sequences)
Date
List pgsql-general
I am used to creating sequences separately and using them for default
values instead of using the serial type. I am not sure why... but that's the
way I have been doing it. Maybe I don't trust the generated names.
I should probably just get over it, but anyhow...

Let's say I am writing a file for creating a database. Say ...

-- schematest
CREATE SEQUENCE foo_id_seq;
CREATE TABLE foo(
    id integer
        PRIMARY KEY
        DEFAULT nextval('foo_id_seq'),
    xx text
);

I want to be able to ...

lee=# drop schema beta cascade;
DROP SCHEMA
lee=# create schema beta;
CREATE SCHEMA
lee=# set search_path to beta;
SET
lee=# \i schematest
CREATE SEQUENCE
CREATE TABLE

The problem is that unlike a comparable serial column, my default value
does not qualify the sequence with the right schema name.

Is there a way to do that, such that my schematest file does not need to
know which schema I am loading the file into?

Or should I just get over my aversion to serial?

Working moms: Find helpful tips here on managing kids, home, work �  and
yourself.   http://special.msn.com/msnbc/workingmom.armx