How to use the 'char() ' as data type and a function name in the same time. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From rohtodeveloper
Subject How to use the 'char() ' as data type and a function name in the same time.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dear Hackers

When I use the  pg_catalog.char(integer) function  in the postgres, I can only use it like these:
select pg_catalog.char(65);  select "char"(65);

But I want to use the function by the following  way.
select char(1);
Of coures, There would be a gram error.

I know the error is caused by that the 'char()' has been defined as one of character data types in the 'src\backend\parser\gram.y' file.

However, In SQLServer, the 'char()' can be used as data type and a function name in the same time.

For example:
select char(65)                    ----> char() used as a function name
----

select cast('1' as char(4));     ----> char() used as data type
-------
    1

So, I wonder if there is a solution in the postgreSQL to use the char() as data type  and function name in the same time like in SQLServer.

Any help appreciated.