Fw: [pgadmin-support] (Bug) Numeric fault calculation - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kanitchet Vaiassava
Subject Fw: [pgadmin-support] (Bug) Numeric fault calculation
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dear,

       I had forwarded my bug report from pgadmin-support to pgsql-bugs (with attach file) and sorry for send it to pgadmin-support
and please allows me to quote more form pg’s document and do more underline

8.1.3. Floating-Point Types

The data types real and double precision are inexact, variable-precision numeric types. In practice, these types are usually implementations of IEEE Standard 754 for Binary Floating-Point Arithmetic (single and double precision, respectively), to the extent that the underlying processor, operating system, and compiler support it.

Inexact means that some values cannot be converted exactly to the internal format and are stored as approximations, so that storing and retrieving a value might show slight discrepancies. Managing these errors and how they propagate through calculations is the subject of an entire branch of mathematics and computer science and will not be discussed here, except for the following points:

  • If you require exact storage and calculations (such as for monetary amounts), use the numeric type instead.

  • If you want to do complicated calculations with these types for anything important, especially if you rely on certain behavior in boundary cases (infinity, underflow), you should evaluate the implementation carefully.

  • Comparing two floating-point values for equality might not always work as expected.

Please fix this, and if you have any suggestion to workaround right now it will be great.

sorry for bad english.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Kanitchet Vaiassava

ThaiAce Capital Co., Ltd
999 Nawamin Rd., Nuanjun, Buengkum, Bangkok 10230, Thailand
Mobile +66 89 515 9955; Office +66 2 944 2000 Ext.1204; Fax +66 2 944 2020

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: [pgadmin-support] (Bug) Numeric fault calculation

Intresting thing. I never thought it is so loose.
On the other side, I would never use double for currency calculations. It provides instability to results due to floating point precision.

However due to this:

The scale of a numeric is the count of decimal digits in the fractional part, to the right of the decimal point

Try to this:
SELECT (260739.94 * (1.00000000000000000000000000000/365))
714.3560000000000000000000000714356

With regards