libpq - getting value of SERIAL field when INSERT-ing? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Roy's Email
Subject libpq - getting value of SERIAL field when INSERT-ing?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Using libpq, how do I get the return value from an INSERT statement?

CREATE TABLE foo ( pk SERIAL , val text, PRIMARY KEY (pk) );
INSERT INTO foo VALUES ( DEFAULT, 'stuff' ) RETURNING (pk);

How do I get the value assigned to 'pk'?  I assume it's in the 'PGresult' returned from 'PQexec()', but I can't find anything in the documentation for 'PGresult' that appears to discuss this particular use.

Regards,

- Roy

=*=*=
Always do right.
This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. - Oscar Wilde