Re: preserving data after updates - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Patnude
Subject Re: preserving data after updates
Date
List pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: Berend Tober [mailto:btober@seaworthysys.com]
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 8:47 AM
To: Greg Patnude
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] preserving data after updates

> I use a modified form of option 3 with an ON UPDATE RULE.... the update
rule
> copies the row to an inherited table...

I just gotta say that THAT is one COOL use of PG inheritance! Do you find
that
it works well and is robust and all the good stuff it seems like would be
the
case?

-- Berend

[GP->] Thank you... !

[GP->]  I find it VERY effective and completely transparent to both the
programmer and the end-user... I don't use it on ALL of the tables in a
given schema... ONLY the tables where end-users can manipulate / change
data...
[GP->]
What it boils down to is that I can use it as a sort of a virtual "rollback"
system by querying the inherited table and updating the parent table with an
original value from the child -- Of course... this results in another change
to the child but it can also be undone...