Re: New record position - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Greg Patnude
Subject Re: New record position
Date
List pgsql-sql
There's a difference between "natural" order (the location in the database
or on disk) and "record" order (the order specified by the primary key)...

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org]
On Behalf Of Chris Browne
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 3:04 PM
To: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [SQL] New record position

lucas@presserv.org writes:
> Why it? I can't undestand why the new record location was change.
Shouldn't it
> apper at the LAST record???
> What need I do??

SQL only imposes an order on the return set if you add an "ORDER BY"
clause.

You can't expect any particular order to either recur or NOT recur
unless you have specifically requested a particular ordering.

There's no bug; just use ORDER BY if you need to, and, if you don't,
make sure you don't expect any particular ordering...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spiritual.html

              http://archives.postgresql.org